LAUREN CUYVERS's practice focuses on EU privacy and cybersecurity as well as EU life sciences regulatory and enforcement work. She advises clients on EU law in a range of industries, including the life sciences, technology and new media industry. Her privacy and cybersecurity practice focuses on regulatory compliance and enforcement of the EU GDPR and local privacy laws, cross-border data sharing and transfer issues, data breach and cyber incident response and data privacy issues arising in the context of internal and government investigations. In addition, Lauren counsels clients in the life sciences industry in matters related to marketing authorization procedures, pricing and reimbursement and advertising and promotional requirements under EU and Belgian law.
Lauren is a Certified Information Privacy Professional/EU through the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP).
Some of Lauren’s recent experience includes:
- Advising U.S. and EU clients on the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) regulatory compliance and enforcement issues.
- Assisting global companies with the implementation of global data sharing and transfer solutions.
- Counselling U.S. clients on the impact of the EU GDPR on U.S. e-discovery.
- Assessing privacy and data protection risk in a cross-border internal investigation for a company in the life sciences industry following a security incident, including roll-out of a large-scale notification process.
- Assisting a client in the life sciences industry with Belgian market access, including market authorization, advertising and promotion, and pricing requirements under Belgian law.
Prior to joining Sidley, Lauren was an associate in the IP and data protection practices of other international law firms based in Brussels where she advised and litigated for clients in the life sciences and media sectors, focusing on patents and data privacy. In 2014, Lauren served as an Assistant Attaché at the Permanent Mission of Belgium to the United Nations in New York.
She is fluent in Dutch, English and French.
Admissions & Certifications
- Member of the Brussels bar – A list
- University of Liège, LL.M., 2014 (cum laude)
- KU Leuven, Master of Laws, 2013
- University of Hasselt, Bachelor, 2011