SVEN DE KNOP is a litigator focused on International Trade Law and European Union law.
Sven represents clients in trade and other investigations, as well as in judicial proceedings before the EU and Member State courts. He has been involved in many of the major EU anti-dumping and anti-subsidy investigations in recent years, and regularly assists clients in trade investigations launched by third countries such as Egypt, Russia and Turkey. In addition, he has extensive experience with EU regulatory issues in the areas of chemicals, steel, and life sciences (including biotech, food and pharmaceuticals).
Most recently, Sven has been advising clients on various aspects of the legal and policy implications of Brexit.
Representative work includes:
- Obtaining landmark victories before the Court of Justice of the European Union in anti-dumping matters (Cases C-249/10P Brosmann and T-107/08 Kazchrome).
- Representing the world’s largest solar panel manufacturer in the biggest ever EU trade investigation and representing the world’s largest steel manufacturer in the first ever Russian anti-dumping investigation.
- Representing clients before the European Commission and Member State administrative authorities on issues relating to the regulation of biotechnology, chemicals, pharmaceuticals and waste, as well as on customs matters. He advised a major biotech company on the EU emergency measures imposed on its food products, and he gave on-site assistance to one of the world’s largest pharmaceutical companies during a GCP investigation.
- Representing clients in Member State litigation on issues such as product liability, other non-contractual liability, customs matters and competition law. He participated in a landmark ruling from the Brussels Court of Appeals relating to non-contractual liability for violations of EU law, and he coordinated a pan-European litigation strategy for active litigation in Belgium, Germany, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Sven is recognized as a Leading Individual by Chambers and Who’s Who. In the International Trade/WTO chapter of Chambers Europe 2020, clients note that “He has a razor-sharp mind and his analytical abilities are simply astounding, resulting in the perfect litigator and debater.” (Chambers Europe 2019). Sven is highlighted for his “brilliant legal mind” and for being “extremely efficient.” Sources from the 2018 edition recommend him as “a razor-sharp litigator who wins highly complex arguments by putting them in simple terms.” He is also listed in Who’s Who Legal 2019 for Trade and Customs, whilst in the 2016 edition sources from the publication describe him as “a formidable trade expert with lots of experience,” “very responsive” and “a quick thinker.” Sven was recognized by Law360 2018 as a “Rising Star” in the International Trade category.
Admissions & Certifications
- Member of the Brussels bar – A list
- University of Geneva, LL.M., 2005
- University of Antwerp, LL.M., 2004