BRIAN KAVANAUGH represents clients in a wide range of complex litigation matters in arbitration and in state and federal courts throughout the United States. He has more than two decades of experience litigating disputes arising in the healthcare, insurance, and cybersecurity industries. Brian has led teams handling matters in arbitration, state and federal court, and at trial and on appeal, involving a vast array of managed care issues from provider contract disputes to coverage class actions and data breach matters. Likewise, Brian has defended and counseled pharmaceutical clients regarding disputes involving prescription drug pricing and reimbursement, alleged violations of the False Claims Act, co-development and co-promotion agreements, and contract manufacturing arrangements.
Brian’s recent representations include:
- Defending a health insurer in a putative class action relating to air ambulance coverage.
- Defending a health insurer in a putative ERISA class action relating to out-of-network ER reimbursement.
- Defending a health insurer in a putative ERISA class action relating to behavioral health coverage.
- Defending a health insurer in a putative class action relating to out-of-network coverage and claims processing disputes.
- Defending a health insurer in a putative class action relating to proton beam therapy coverage.
- Defending a third-party administrator in taxpayer derivative actions relating to administration of self-funded government employee benefit plans.
- Representing a mutual insurance company in a derivative action relating to alleged breaches of fiduciary duty.
- Advising a healthcare client with regard to various COVID-19 business and contract impacts.
- Defending a healthcare company in commercial litigation and an adversary action arising out of hospital bankruptcy.
- Advising a health insurer regarding reimbursement disputes with out-of-network emergency facilities.
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Rating in Litigation, Commercial Law and Class Actions
- Selected as an “Illinois Rising Star” in Class Actions by Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters publication (2013)