Although our clients operate in the telecommunications industry, many of the transactions that we handle for them are not specific to the industry. The same challenges – such as acquiring and maintaining hardware, obtaining licenses to software, creating and supporting networks and purchasing professional services – affect the firm’s clients in virtually every other industry. Accordingly, our experience positions our lawyers to assist in a variety of intellectual property and related commercial transactions while bringing a high level of technical understanding and knowledge. Our clients in the telecommunications industry range from the small, traditional wire-line telephone company to one of the largest national wireless telecommunications service providers.
The types of transactions that we handle for our telecommunications clients are diverse and encompass all aspects of their business including:
- acquisition of infrastructure hardware, and maintenance and support;
- establishment of advertising, promotional and marketing relationships;
- acquisition of consumer equipment (e.g., handsets, wireless data cards, etc.);
- licensing of network testing systems and services;
- engaging third-party repair and replacement services for consumer equipment;
- outsourcing of warehousing services for consumer equipment as well as engineering-related spare parts and repair materials;
- enabling vertical service offerings (including handset insurance, roadside assistance, etc.);
- licensing of systems for customer service and support (including credit scoring, telesales and on-line bill presentment and payment); and
- establishment of reseller relationships and relationships with indirect sales agents.
We often work with other lawyers throughout the firm to focus on issues that arise in our transactions that require subject-matter experience in areas such as Federal Communications Commission regulation, environmental, finance, tax, data and information privacy and product liability.
Recent assignments include:
- We are currently representing a large cellular and wireless provider in renegotiating its master purchase agreement with Nortel Networks Inc. for infrastructure hardware and related services.
- We represent United States Cellular Corporation in its IP and Commercial Transactions. This experience includes:
- Negotiating agreements with Qualcomm for a major enhancement to the client’s technology infrastructure that enables the delivery of information services to subscriber handsets;
- Representing the client in a transaction with CheckFree Corporation to provide an end-to-end electronic bill creation, presentment, distribution and payment system and related services, in order to enable subscribers to view on-line, electronic versions of their respective bills for services and products and to make electronic payments; and
- Advising the client on an RFP, and negotiated final agreements and statements of work to acquire an upgraded incentive compensation management system and related services that will improve the client’s ability to track, report and pay incentive compensation to its sales associates (employees) and its indirect distribution channel (independent sales agents), as well as to better manage sales goals and sales quotas.
- We handled several technology licensing and distribution matters for a telecommunications product manufacturer, including the negotiation of a Development and Licensing Agreement with Horizon Navigation, Inc., for the development of a new GPS navigation product for the consumer market.
- We represented a telecommunications company in the negotiation of its enterprise-wide purchasing agreement with OfficeMax for internal office supplies.
- We represented the law enforcement agency of one of the largest counties in the country in the acquisition of next generation mobile data and communication devices for deployment to its patrol vehicles.
- We represented a technology startup, providing IP support and advice in its discussions to license technology for interactive cellphone radio and media services.
- We represented Iridium Satellite in licensing satellite system and handset technology from Motorola, and numerous sublicenses for the development of next generation handsets, add-on products and second generation satellite systems.
- We represented a satellite telecommunications provider in the construction contracts for the acquisition of a constellation of mid-earth orbit satellites, as well as launch contracts and related support and services agreements.