SAMIR GANDHI is the managing partner of Sidley’s New York office.
Sam focuses on capital markets offerings, corporate matters and private equity transactions. He represents issuers and underwriters in a broad range of capital markets activities and has extensive experience advising corporate clients on disclosure and governance matters, complex financial structures, public offerings and private placements. Sam also represents domestic and foreign fund sponsors, investment banks and other private investors in their private equity and venture capital activities and rights holders and media companies in sponsorship and media contracts in the sports and entertainment industries.
Recent matters include:
- Representation of Aprea Therapeutics, Inc. and Biodesix, Inc.in their initial public offerings.
- Representation of the underwriters in the initial public offerings of GoHealth, Inc., Lefteris Acquisition Corp., Newmark Group, Inc., Franklin Financial Network, Inc. and SelectQuote, Inc.
- Representation of the underwriters in securities offerings by ABB Ltd., American Campus Communities, BGC Partners, Inc., Cantor Fitzgerald LP, CHS, Inc., Dairy Farmers of America, The Depository Trust Company Corporation, First Republic Bank, Fortune Brands Home & Security, Freddie Mac, Land O’ Lakes, Inc., Mid-America Apartments Inc., McKesson, Newmark Group, Inc., Orchid Island Capital, Inc., O’Reilly Auto Parts, Retail Opportunity Investment Company, Stryker, Inc., UDR, Inc., Unibail-Rodamco-Westfield and Walgreens Boots Alliance.
- Representation of Athene Holding Ltd., Argo Financial Services Ltd., AmTrust Financial Services, Maiden Holdings Ltd., and Sumitomo Corporation of America as issuer in public and private securities offerings.
- Representation of Athene Holding Ltd. in its initial public offering — named “Equity deal of the year — Americas” in 2017 by The International Financial Law Review.
- Representation of affiliates of Apollo Global Management, Inc. in providing a $500 million of senior secured loan to, and its commitment to buy over the next 12 months the lesser of 4.9% or $50 million in the common shares of, MFA Financial, Inc.
- Representation of Evolution Media Capital in corporate, advisory and investment matters.
- Representation of the Confederation of North American, Central American and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF) in their corporate, governance and media matters.
- Representation of Equity International in an equity investment in SAMHI Hotels, a hotel operator in India.
- Representation of the sponsor and fund in the establishment of each of HDFC Property Fund and Kae Capital Fund, each international funds targeting investments into India.
Sam’s leadership in such matters has earned him acknowledgment in numerous industry publications. According to Chambers and Partners, sources say Sam “is spectacular,” adding, “he is one of the most pragmatic guys around and has emerged as a real leader in the Bar.” Clients also told Chambers that Sam is “very communicative“ and “approachable and practical.” The Legal 500 has recognized Sam in the areas of capital markets debt and equity offerings, with sources telling the publication he is “unequivocally a top lawyer.” Sam has also been acknowledged as a leading lawyer in the publications The Legal 500 (2010 – 2015), Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers (2006 – 2020), Chambers Global (2007 – 2020) and Chambers Asia (2010 – 2012). He was named in Diversity & The Bar Magazine as one of the “15 Rainmakers Who Always Shine,” in 2015. Sam has also been recognized in the 2016 edition of Who’s Who Legal: Capital Markets. Additionally, Sam has been recognized for his commitment to pro bono legal services. In 2019, he was honored with the Pro Bono Partnership’s Champion Award.
Sam serves as host of The Sidley Podcast which brings compelling perspectives on complex, newsworthy topics at the intersection of business and law. Each episode features a discussion with Sidley lawyers on the critical issues that matter to senior business leaders.