YUET MING THAM is the global co-leader of the White Collar Defense and Investigations practice and leader of the Asia Pacific Compliance and Investigations practice. She is a top-ranked international lawyer recognized by publications such as Chambers, Benchmark Litigation and the Legal 500. She speaks fluent English, Mandarin, Cantonese, and Malay, and is admitted in New York, England and Wales, Hong Kong, and Singapore.
Yuet focuses on the FCPA, corporate compliance and investigations, sanctions, privacy, cybersecurity, and employment law. She has led investigations and compliance projects across Asia Pacific, Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and Latin America, and has counselled clients on matters involving the U.S. Department of Justice, the U.S. SEC, FINRA, the HK Securities and Futures Commission, as well as investigations by other enforcement agencies in Asia. Most recently, Yuet led investigations in India, China, Indonesia, Japan, South Korea, Thailand, Vietnam, the Philippines, Australia, Nepal, Turkey, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Israel, Nigeria, South Africa, and Algeria.
Yuet has experience across a broad range of industries but has a special focus on the life sciences and technology industries.
Advocacy on behalf of her clients has earned Yuet notable awards and acknowledgement:
- Since 2012-2024, Yuet has been recognized by Chambers Global, Chambers Asia-Pacific, and Chambers Greater China, where she is ranked “Band 1” in the Corporate Investigations/Anti-Corruption (International Firms) category. In the 2024 edition, clients have commented that “Yuet has a very practical and very global view, and she is trusted for her intimate knowledge of risk and enforcement in the market,” and “her knowledge of the broader Asia-Pacific legal environment, as well as specialized knowledge in healthcare, makes her an important resource in the region.” In 2023, a client noted that Yuet is “in a class of very elite lawyers who handle the most complex international issues and make it look easy.” And another source added “She is my go-to in the APAC and around the world.” Chambers Asia-Pacific and Chambers Greater China Region has also ranked Yuet in the Life Sciences: International category from 2012-2024, and she has been described as “very experienced and confident” and is “the subject matter expert in the life science industry.”
- Yuet is a “Leading Individual” for Regulatory: Anti-Corruption and Compliance in Legal 500 APAC Hong Kong (2023-2024), and a recommended “White Collar Crime” lawyer in Legal 500 APAC Singapore (2023). In the 2024 edition, a client has commented that “Yuet Ming Tham is a powerhouse. She knows the various APAC markets thoroughly, and we count on her insight to make strategic decisions. Our business goes to her and her alone. Truly head and shoulders above all the others in the region.”
- Yuet is ranked as a recommended “Compliance and Investigations” lawyer by the Legal 500 Latin America 2024 edition.
- Yuet was added by Global Investigations Review 2021 to its list of “Top 100 Women in Investigations” globally.
- Yuet was listed as a leading lawyer in the Women in Business Law Expert Guide 2021.
- Yuet was awarded the “Top 100 Women in Law” recognition for the Asia Pacific region and as the “Dispute Resolution Star: White-collar” by Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific from 2019-2023. In the 2023 edition, clients noted that Yuet “Provides pragmatic advice, and manages complex issues efficiently and cost effectively.”
- Yuet was recognized by Who’s Who Legal: Thought Leaders – Global Investigations Review 2019-2021 and Who’s Who Legal: Thought Leaders – Hong Kong 2021. In addition, Yuet is recognized in Who’s Who Legal as a “Leading Business Lawyer” in three separate categories namely Life Sciences, Business Crime Defense, and Investigations. A source commented that she is regarded as “one of the best-informed regulatory lawyers in the region.”
- Yuet was awarded the Emerging Markets “Compliance & Investigations Lawyer of the Year” by The Asian Lawyer, with the team also recognized as the “Compliance/Investigations Firm of the Year.”
- Yuet is recognized in IFLR1000 in the “Financial Services Regulatory” category as a “Leading Lawyer.”
- In Legal 500 APAC 2024, a client described Yuet as a person who “ensures that any work coming from her team is consistent and thorough” and “takes time to understand our concerns and offers immediate workable and often innovative solutions.”
- In Chambers Asia Pacific 2023, Yuet is described as “a highly reputable professional who delivers long-term value for her clients” and is “widely recognized as a trusted counsel to a number of Sidley Austin’s prominent life sciences and pharmaceutical clients in relation to global investigations and compliance advice.” She has been described as being “very responsive and understands the unique needs of her clients. Her blend of firm and in-house counsel experience is very helpful for providing practical advice that in-house lawyers can use.” Clients appreciate that her advice is “punctual, balanced, and comprehensive.”
- In Benchmark Litigation 2023, a client describes Yuet as being “…excellent at client service, ensuring the right person is working on my matter with the required knowledge and expertise. She is also transparent with the billing, and we get excellent outcomes.”
- In Chambers Asia-Pacific 2018, under the Corporate Investigations chapter, Yuet is described as “exceptionally bright” and “very responsive and knowledgeable and can immediately dive into the issues.” In the Life Sciences chapter, clients shared: “We have always been impressed by her leadership, professionalism, tenacity and savvy technical skills…. You will love to work with Yuet.”
- In Chambers Global 2015, Yuet is described by clients as “a marvelous and gifted attorney” while peers acknowledge her prowess in working with clients in the life science sector. She is active advising on anti-corruption issues across Asia, with a focus on assisting businesses on FCPA investigations in China, Japan, South Korea, Indonesia, and Vietnam. Meanwhile, Chambers Asia-Pacific noted that Yuet “is frequently sought after by international corporations, who respect her experience and expertise in risk management.” In addition, she is described as being “highly thought of in the life sciences industry,” and that industry players appreciate her “wealth of knowledge of the latest trends across the region” as well as having a “tough, no-nonsense approach in tackling tricky compliance questions.”
Prior to joining Sidley, Yuet held roles as a Deputy Public Prosecutor in Singapore and was the Asia Pacific Regional Director for Pfizer. She is on the Advisory Board(s) of the Seton-Hall University Healthcare Compliance Programs in both Asia Pacific and the Middle East.
Yuet is frequently invited to speak at major conferences around the world.