FRANCESCA BLYTHE advises international clients on a wide range of data protection, privacy and cybersecurity issues. Francesca has in depth experience with a number of industries including asset management and private equity, payments, technology, e-commerce and manufacturing. She has a particular focus on life sciences where she advises on a broad range of issues in relation to, for example, real world evidence and secondary research, clinical studies / investigations, digital health and use of novel technologies (including artificial intelligence).
Recent examples of Francesca's work include advising:
- Northwood Investors on the Sale of 20 Gracechurch Street in London.
- Kiniciti on its investment in Ncardia, a leader in developing stem cell-based solutions for drug discovery and cell therapy.
- KKR on its majority acquisition of Biosynth Carbosynth, a Swiss life sciences reagents and custom synthesis and manufacturing services company.
- Arthur J. Gallagher & Co., a global insurance brokerage, risk management and consulting services firm, in its acquisition of the treaty reinsurance brokerage operations of Willis Towers Watson for US$3.25 billion.
- A global pharmaceutical company on EU data protection issues related to clinical trials including, the use of artificial intelligence (AI).
- A global (re)insurance company on a group-wide data protection project to deal with EU data protection requirements including the GDPR, and a subsequent refresh of the program.
Francesca was previously in-house counsel at the largest international health and beauty retailer in Asia and Europe. Whilst there, she regularly gave advice on compliance and strategies relating to data protection laws, including subject access requests, Privacy Impact Assessments, direct marketing campaigns, biometrics and employee monitoring. She also assisted in the planning and delivery of a UK-wide privacy audit and managed a global privacy compliance project.
Francesca has recently been included in Law.com International’s 2022 “Rising Stars: The UK's Best Up and Coming Female Lawyers” list. The annual feature highlights the “25 women aged under 40 paving ways in the UK legal industry as the next generation of female legal powerhouses.” Francesca was named as an “Associate to watch” in Chambers UK 2022, where clients comment: “She has a good pulse as to what regulators are thinking, and provides solid advice supported by the requirements of the law and industry best practices.” “She is extremely hard-working, diligent and detail-oriented. She anticipates client needs, is highly responsive and deeply knowledgeable about GDPR requirements.” In the 2021 edition, sources commented that “she is a joy to work with. She is very responsive and coordinates and synthesises things as needed, giving very practical advice.” Clients say that she is “extremely knowledgeable in EU privacy law.” She is also recognized in The Legal 500 UK 2022 for Data Protection, Privacy and Cybersecurity and Who’s Who Legal: Data Privacy and Protection 2022.