FRANCESCA BLYTHE advises international clients on a wide range of data protection, privacy and cybersecurity issues. Francesca has in depth experience with a number of industries including asset management and private equity, payments, technology, e-commerce and manufacturing. She has a particular focus on life sciences where she advises on a broad range of issues in relation to, for example, real world evidence and secondary research, clinical studies / investigations, digital health and use of novel technologies (including artificial intelligence).
Recent examples of Francesca's work include advising:
- Arthur J. Gallagher & Co., a global insurance brokerage, risk management and consulting services firm, in its acquisition of the treaty reinsurance brokerage operations of Willis Towers Watson for US$3.25 billion.
- A global pharmaceutical company on EU data protection issues related to clinical trials including, the use of artificial intelligence (AI).
- A global (re)insurance company on a group-wide data protection project to deal with EU data protection requirements including the GDPR, and a subsequent refresh of the program.
- A multinational technology company on the ability to disclose consumer data to competition authorities in the context of a European investigation.
- KKR on its investment in Ornikar, a European provider of road safety education.
Francesca was previously in-house counsel at the largest international health and beauty retailer in Asia and Europe. Whilst there, she regularly gave advice on compliance and strategies relating to data protection laws, including subject access requests, Privacy Impact Assessments, direct marketing campaigns, biometrics and employee monitoring. She also assisted in the planning and delivery of a UK-wide privacy audit and managed a global privacy compliance project.
Francesca was named as an “Associate to watch” in Chambers UK 2021, with sources commenting that “she is a joy to work with. She is very responsive and coordinates and synthesises things as needed, giving very practical advice.” Clients say that she is “extremely knowledgeable in EU privacy law.” She was recognized in The Legal 500 UK 2017 for Data Protection, Privacy and Cybersecurity, with clients describing her as “impressive, experienced and incredibly personable.” Francesca is also listed in the 2019 and 2020 editions of Who’s Who Legal: Data.