Sidley is a top-ranked firm in the 2023 edition of Chambers USA. The firm received 123 practice rankings and 298 lawyer rankings in the guide. Of these, Sidley ranked top — Band 1 — in 19 practice rankings and 43 lawyer rankings.
Notably, two partners received commendations above Band 1. Michael J. Schmidtberger was ranked as Eminent Practitioner in Nationwide Hedge Funds. The designation recognizes him for balancing his hedge funds practice with his leadership of Sidley’s Executive Committee. Further, Chambers USA ranked Washington, D.C. partner Carter G. Phillips as Star Individual in the Nationwide Appellate Law category.
Sidley’s Band 1 practice area rankings are:
- Appellate Law (Nationwide)
- Banking & Finance (Illinois)
- Capital Markets: Securitization: RMBS (Nationwide)
- Corporate/M&A & Private Equity (Illinois)
- Corporate/M&A: Takeover Defense (New York)
- Energy Transition (Nationwide)
- Environment (District of Columbia)
- Financial Services Regulation: Broker Dealer (Compliance & Enforcement) (Nationwide)
- Healthcare: Pharmaceutical/Medical Products Regulatory (District of Columbia)
- Healthcare: Pharmaceutical/Medical Products Regulatory (Illinois)
- Hedge Funds (Nationwide)
- Insurance: Transactional & Regulatory (Illinois)
- Intellectual Property (Illinois)
- International Trade: Customs (Nationwide)
- International Trade: Trade Remedies & Trade Policy (Nationwide)
- Life Sciences: Regulatory/Compliance (Nationwide)
- Litigation: General Commercial (Illinois)
- Litigation: Securities (Illinois)
- Transportation: Rail (for Railroads) (Nationwide)
The annual Chambers USA guide provides analyses of legal practitioners in the United States based on in-depth interviews with clients and in-house counsel.