LEONARD NG is a member of the firm’s Executive Committee and head of the UK/EU Financial Services Regulatory group. Based in the London office, Leonard advises a wide range of global financial institutions on complex UK/EU financial services regulatory issues. He has particular experience in advising clients on operating under the regulatory framework established after the last financial crisis, and more recently on Brexit, sustainable finance/ESG, and crypto-asset regulation. Leonard is a past member of the Board of the Managed Funds Association (MFA), the global trade association for hedge funds, and is a frequent speaker at industry conferences.
Leonard has received acknowledgement from numerous industry ranking guides:
- Best Lawyers 2024 – Named in the area of Financial Services and Investment Funds.
- Financial News Europe – Selected as one of Financial News’ Fifty Most Influential Lawyers in 2022 and 2023.
- Chambers UK 2023 – Ranked for Financial Services: Non-contentious Regulatory where clients praise “his combination of professionalism, wisdom and commercialism is rare and incredibly valuable.”
- The Legal 500 UK 2023 – Recognized as a “Leading Individual” in Financial Services where he is described as an “expert in ESG, sustainable finance, crypto-asset and Brexit-related regulation,” and is also recommended in the area of Hedge Funds.
- Who’s Who Legal 2023 – Recognized as Thought Leader in Global Elite, Private Funds, Regulatory and Global Banking Regulation Review.
- Chambers UK 2022 – Ranked for Financial Services: Non-contentious Regulatory where clients note “He's a strong technical operator. He has consistently impressed us with his expertise, timeliness, and understanding of the political environment and rule-making process for financial regulation in the UK and EU.”
- The Legal 500 UK 2022 – Recognized as a “Leading Individual” in Financial Services where he is described as “an expert in the intersection between EU and UK financial services regulatory law.”
- Who’s Who Legal 2022 – Recognized as Global Leader in Private Funds, Regulatory, Banking Finance and in Banking Regulatory. In previous editions, he is described as “a great regulatory lawyer” and “at the top of the market.”
- Chambers UK 2021 – Ranked as a Leading Individual for Financial Services: Non-contentious Regulatory. Commentators note “He's one of the leading lights in regulation affecting alternative funds. He's a trusted source and can be relied on to provide us with deep coverage of everything we'd need to know.”
- Who’s Who Legal 2021 – Recognized as a Though Leader in Banking and Global Banking Regulation Review.
- IFLR1000 2021 – Recognized as a Market Leader.
In February 2019, Leonard was honored with the “Outstanding Contribution Award” which was presented at The Hedge Fund Journal Awards.
Leonard has also been interviewed widely for his thought leadership, including in such national publications as the Financial Times, Reuters, Wall Street Journal and New York Times’ Dealbook. He has also been featured in numerous industry outlets, including Bloomberg Briefs, HFMWeek, Financial News, Risk, Private Equity News, Asian Investor, Law360, Institutional Investor Magazine and Global Risk Regulator.