LEONARD NG is a member of the firm’s Executive Committee and co-head of the UK/EU Financial Services Regulatory group. Based in the London office, Leonard advises a wide range of global financial institutions on complex UK/EU financial services regulatory issues. He has particular experience in advising clients on operating under the regulatory framework established after the last financial crisis, and more recently on Brexit, sustainable finance/ESG, and crypto-asset regulation. Leonard is a past member of the Board of the Managed Funds Association (MFA), the global trade association for hedge funds, and is a frequent speaker at industry conferences.
Leonard has received acknowledgement from numerous industry ranking guides:
- Chambers UK 2023 – Ranked for Financial Services: Non-contentious Regulatory where clients praise “his combination of professionalism, wisdom and commercialism is rare and incredibly valuable.”
- The Legal 500 UK 2023 – Recognized as a “Leading Individual” in Financial Services where he is described as an “expert in ESG, sustainable finance, crypto-asset and Brexit-related regulation,” and is also recommended in the area of Hedge Funds.
- Chambers UK 2022 – Ranked for Financial Services: Non-contentious Regulatory where clients note “He's a strong technical operator. He has consistently impressed us with his expertise, timeliness, and understanding of the political environment and rule-making process for financial regulation in the UK and EU.”
- Financial News Europe 2022 - Selected as one of Financial News’ Fifty Most Influential Lawyers.
- The Legal 500 UK 2022 – Recognized as a “Leading Individual” in Financial Services where he is described as “an expert in the intersection between EU and UK financial services regulatory law.”
- Best Lawyers 2022 – Named in the area of Financial Services and Investment Funds.
- Chambers UK 2021 – Ranked as a Leading Individual for Financial Services: Non-contentious Regulatory. Commentators note “He's one of the leading lights in regulation affecting alternative funds. He's a trusted source and can be relied on to provide us with deep coverage of everything we'd need to know.”
- IFLR1000 2021 – Recognized as a Market Leader.
- The Legal 500 UK 2017 – Recognized in Financial Services where clients say he is “‘As bright as they come’ and a ‘leader in his field.’” Sources also describe Leonard as “‘exceptionally practical in his views on FCA and EU regulation’ and a ‘go-to lawyer.’”
- Who’s Who Legal 2017 – Leonard was named “Private Funds – Regulatory Lawyer of the Year” at the 2017 Who’s Who Legal Awards. He has also been recognized in Who’s Who Legal: Banking 2021 and Who's Who Legal: Thought Leaders - Global Banking Regulation Review 2021. Most recently, he has been recognized in the Private Funds - Regulatory chapter of Who’s Who Legal: Thought Leaders - Global Elite 2022. In previous editions, he is described as “a great regulatory lawyer” and “at the top of the market.”
In February 2019, Leonard was honored with the “Outstanding Contribution Award” which was presented at The Hedge Fund Journal Awards.
Leonard has also been interviewed widely for his thought leadership, including in such national publications as the Financial Times, Reuters, Wall Street Journal and New York Times’ Dealbook. He has also been featured in numerous industry outlets, including Bloomberg Briefs, HFMWeek, Financial News, Risk, Private Equity News, Asian Investor, Law360, Institutional Investor Magazine and Global Risk Regulator.